Although covered in fur, a dog's largest organ is his skin. When a dog experiences a dermatological problem, he or she can become extremely uncomfortable and suffer severe itching, pain, and even hair loss. At Animal Dermatology Specialists of Vancouver, we focus on dog dermatology, helping our patients feel better and their owners to understand their pet's condition.
Pet Dermatology Problems
Our furry friends suffer from several common dog skin problems including:
- Itchy Skin - Clinically referred to as pruritis, itchy skin affects several dogs and is the most common reason dog dermatologists see their patients. If left untreated, itchy skin can lead to lesions, infections, and hair loss. To treat itchy skin, our dog dermatologist first needs to diagnose the cause of the itching, whether related to parasites, allergies, or another condition.
- Allergies - Common in dogs, allergens typically fall into one of three categories: food, fleas, and environment. Sensitivities to allergens range from moderate to severe, with some dogs experiencing systemic reactions from only minor exposure. Our veterinarian will help you pinpoint the cause of your dog's allergies and remove the allergen from his or her environment or diet.
- Hot Spots and Sores - Hot spots and sores such as mange result from the numerous tiny bites of mite and flea infestation. The presence of hot spots and sores prompts our veterinarian to look for parasites, and treatment usually includes a medicated bath designed to both soothe your dog and rid his coat of those pesky parasites.
- Hair Loss - Parasites and conditions which cause a hormonal imbalance can cause hair loss in dogs. The reason for canine hair loss can be difficult to determine, but our veterinarian uses a skin scraping test to diagnose the cause of hair loss in dogs.
- Dull and Dry Coats - If your dog's coat lacks luster, chances are his diet does, too. Our veterinarian will work with you to balance your dog's diet and improve the appearance and state of his coat.
Recognizing Dog Skin Problems
Although the cause of dog skin problems might be difficult to determine without the help of a veterinary expert, the signs are easy to recognize. Look for excessive scratching or biting at skin, sores, dandruff, hair loss, and shaking of the head. If you notice signs of a skin problem in your dog, we encourage you to schedule an appointment for diagnosis, relief, and treatment right away.
Animal Dermatology Specialists of Vancouver – Your Pet Dermatology Experts
At Animal Dermatology Specialists of Vancouver our team of veterinarians and certified pet dermatology specialist have the experience and training to recognize, diagnose, and effectively treat your pet's skin problem.
If you suspect your pet is suffering from the discomfort of a skin-related problem of any sort, we encourage you to contact our office at (604) 558-3376 to schedule an urgent appointment with our pet dermatology expert. We look forward to helping your pet feel better right away.